Thursday, October 20, 2011

Multiple Domain Hosting on one IP address using IIS 7

I'm working on finding a way to save IP addresses while hosting several redirection IIS sites.  I've burned three IP's and have been playing with the possibility of combining them into one IP.  Here are my findings that you can replicate on your IIS7 server:

  1. Add your new IP address to the production NIC group of IPs via the NIC's IPv4 properties
  2. Create your new IIS sites:
    1. I used Tom, Bob, and Ed for my new sites
    2. Ensure you've created default document pages for each site (default.htm or .asp)
    3. Tom is the anchor site which I connected bindings to the new IP address.  I selected the new IP address from the bindings menu and ensured there was no host name.
  3. Now that you've added the new IP address to your NIC, you should notice a new A record in DNS for your domain.  Edit this Host(A) entry to something specific to your new sites; I used MyHostTom.domain.com - connecting the DNS name to the anchor sites IP address
  4. I don't know if it's necessary but I also added a pointer record going to myhosttom.domain.com
  5. Insert an alias record in your domain DNS of Tom and point it to myhosttom.domain.com (the A record you made earlier).
  6. Use your web browser to test your DNS table by going to your new site via it's DNS address
  7. If your sites default page opens properly, then you can connect your other sites to your anchor site
    1. Go to the bindings for Bob and select "All unassigned" addresses and input bob.domain.com
    2. For your third site Ed, use *All unassigned* and ed.domain.com
  8. IIS will now read the incoming expected DNS name and route to the correct site via the anchor site of Tom.
If you have any questions about this post, as it's pretty full of acronyms and kinda vague, leave a comment or send me an email.  Thanks for reading.



No comments: